B is for Backlund and B is for Best

Been watching a ton of 1980s WWF and obviously, Bob Backlund, da man, the GOAT WWE Champion, is a big part of that. Here is my two reviews of his title defenses I watched recently:

WWF Heavyweight Title Match: Bob Backlund (c) vs Hulk Hogan - WWF Philly Spectrum 12/04/1980

This was tremendous wrestling. At first, I wasn’t fully engaged in what they were doing. Not that I thought this was bad at the start, just lacking but the work was perfectly good in its own way. The match got interesting pretty quickly after a short while. They built to the big tremendously well such as Backlund suplexes Hogan. The crowd was great too. The audio quality wasn’t the best so it’s quite a feat that they came through as well as they did. Another highlight of the match has to be Backlund doing his signature stretch spot that always gets me to pop huge and Backlund changing course after failing to knock down Hogan with a shoulder block which puts over Hogan’s size and stretch as well as his adaptability and wrestling smarts. Great match. Big contender for Hogan’s best match, in my opinion. ****1/4

WWF Heavyweight Title Match: Bob Backlund(c) vs Ken Patera - WWF on MSG Network 19/05/1980 [Texas Deathmatch]

This was wrestling at its absolute best. Call me crazy, but I thought this was top 5 WWE match of all time. And I have even gotten down to the cage match yet!! The heat, the drama, the fire. Everything was electric. Watching it made me feel euphoric. They made me totally hate Patera, who did a sensational job at beating down Backlund with brutality, and root for Backlund, who sells his butt off, makes incredible comebacks and sends the crowd into a frenzy. This was exciting from start from finish. The brawling was heated, like none other before it. This was excellent. *****

Comments