New Japan Pro Wrestling BOSJ Final Day 05/06/2019

There was a nice variety of matches up and down in the card. Especially the last three matches on the show. All three matches were different.

Jay White vs Hiroshi Tanahashi 
It's taken a while but White has pretty much put it all together by this point. He was absolutely tremendous in this match. His work on Tanahashi's arm was fantastic. The little counters that he does look great, especially the sprawling defense for the twist and shout which was excellent. That's the stuff I love about wrestling when done correctly. Tanahashi sold the arm so well. The timing of his comebacks was on point and as always, his dragon screws were great. These two didn't have much chemistry before but I thought they clicked perfectly here. The finish was well done too. ****1/2

Jon Moxley vs Juice Robinson 
Very good match. Moxley definitely proved me wrong. I do think he has something to fix such as the timing of certain holds, the STF which was received with silence for example. But he mostly looked good. His offense looked much better and he did a nice job of beating down Juice as if he wasn't doing that himself. Juice was the star of the match for me though. His selling and bumping were excellent. I loved his willingness to go all out with his attacks too. All the praise will go to Moxley but Juice was the star of the match, in my opinion. The blatant rule breaking made me roll my eyes and the match missed its peak by a few minutes but other than that, this was very good. ****

Will Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi 
Great match. Pretty much the great Climax that the entire BOSJ was building towards, except for the winner which was the wrong choice, in my opinion. Both guys going into the match incredibly strong with tons of momentum. As per usual with Ospreay matches, there were some crazy sequences which I thought were well paced out. The nearfall was done so well. The chemistry was great with Ospreay’s style intertwining with Shingo's perfectly. Well deserved main event. ****1/4

Comments