Watching Rude vs Chono II (Halloween Havoc '92)


NWA World Heavyweight Title Match (Special Referee: Harley Race & Kensuke Sasaki)

I personally liked the match but I didn’t have much expectations for the match going in. The first 15 minutes was a bunch of fun to watch. Of course, I have different ideas of fun compared to most. I vastly enjoyed the struggle between the two, even if the commentary doesn’t put it over, they make a brilliant job of struggling for holds.  Mainly it was Rude staying out of Chono’s submissions holds which were his specialty at this point of his career. The tease for the STF was great with Rude holding onto his head for dear life, of course, the crowd is unfamiliar with Chono so they don’t go crazy like the Japanese crowd would. And Rude had some very good character work with his poses. I did think that long headlock spot wasn’t needed at all. Perhaps he was doing the old school spot of grinding the match to a halt when the crowd starts playing up. Maybe he just ran out of ideas. Whatever it was, I wasn’t a fan. The finish was garbage too. Other than that, this was good. ***1/4

Comments