Tanahashi vs Suzuki - WK VI & Brock/Cena/Rollins - Rumble '15

IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Minoru Suzuki - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom VI In Tokyo Dome - 04/01/2012
I’ve watched this a couple of times but I was never that high on it myself. The highest I ever recall myself going on it was ***1/2. But with a bit of context, I imagine this’ll come off better. Suzuki has been terrorizing New Japan for the past year. First taking Kojima’s stable, then getting to the (practically) semi-final of the G1 with no stop in sight. And now, he is facing the pure face of the promotion. The Ace. The Champion. Hiroshi Tanahashi.

I liked the escalation this match had. Suzuki changing and adapting as Tanahashi began to figure him out. First on the mat, then when Suzuki starts throwing strikes and then he heads to the outside for which Tanahashi had no answer for. The match had a bit of a lull but then Suzuki began attacking the arm and that’s where the match improved tremendously. Suzuki started to show off some of his personality rather than being a bit dry early on (compared to later anyway). Tanahashi had some nice selling. Him using one arm during the slap exchange opposed to Suzuki using two was a good example of it and added to the total against the odds feel match this had. I think the match had to deal with a tough crowd, which at one point didn’t even pop for Suzuki kicking out of a High Fly Flow which probably took some of the drama that it could have. And apart from one nearfall from the Piledriver, the crowd didn’t seem to buy Suzuki winning here at all. So there are a few problems that take away. I think the overall match was fun and the post match angle is both famous (as far as what it would mean for the future of the promotion) and infamous (for its initial reception). Good main event but much more inferior to their match later in the year. ***1/2

WWE World Heavyweight Title Triple Threat Match: Brock Lesnar v. John Cena v. Seth Rollins - WWE Royal Rumble 2015 25/01/2015
At the time, I never got why Rollins was in this match when he had the briefcase. I thought it would mean that he would have to cash in the case but turns out no. Imagine if Rollins lost a title match (or whoever) and then cashed it in afterwards, getting the win? That’ll be cool in theory, not so sure in execution.

Rollins totally lived  up to his gimmick as a smart wrestler, waiting on the outside at the beginning, any side of trouble comes J&J security to the rescue. It made it so much sweeter when Brock got his hands on him a minute later. Him being the one to break up someone’s offence and stun their momentum, it utilised his strengths as a smaller guy against two bigger men well. Brock was great as the ass kicker in the match. Not only throwing both Cena and Seth around like they are nothing, but being the focus of two on one assaults. I didn’t like when he’d kick out of one because that’s stupid and they should protect finishers move, especially that early in the match. Cena was taking the brunt of most of Lesnar’s offence and he did a great job of selling it all both in the moment and offensively. I loved the set up to Rollins hitting the splash through the table as well. Cena beating up Lesnar with the stairs, knocking him onto the table which then Rollins jumped on, one of the biggest highlights of the match and maybe the latter decade. I liked the Rollins vs Cena section of the match. Rollins is someone I don’t like now (years ago I did) but I always thought he excelled as the heel that takes an ass beating rather as a heel who does a beatdown or the face that takes an ass beating. He isn’t effective in either but here, he was tremendous. Showed great chemistry with Cena and really showed why I was a big fan of the guy. And that Phoenix Splash into the finish stretch was just tremendous. Just an excellent triple threat match. One of the best. But the wasteful use of the finished annoyed the hell out of me. Brock getting up after two AAs will never not suck, I don’t care its Brock either. Cena being all than willing to let his move be devalued like this angers me. ****1/2

Comments