Kobashi vs Nagata


GHC Heavyweight Title Match: Kenta Kobashi (c) vs. Yuji Nagata - NOAH Navigation Over The Date Line 2003 - Day 13 12/09/2003
I was watching this and I was struggling to put my finger what was holding me back from loving this. However, while writing my thoughts down, my feelings towards the match grew and grew. This was a battle of the bulls. It was Nagata vs Kobashi. New Japan vs NOAH. Only the best was going to work. And that's what they went out and did. Nagata got heavily booed during his entrance. Kobashi got classic "Kobashi" chants. It was pretty much war. Loved Nagata giving Kobashi a slap. The disrespect from him was pretty great. Kobashi pushing him in the corner multiple times and choping the shit out of Nagata was awesome too. Inititally I thought they started to do the fighting spirit spots where Nagata would no sell Kobashi's suplexes too early, but upon relfection, I thought they really worked well into the story. He ain't going to lie down for Kobashi on his home turf easily. The roman knucklelock struggle was great for that as well. It was a real battle of strength. I liked the finishing stretch with the nearfalls and slowly, but surely erosion of Nagata's energy. But Nagata still fighting when the end is looking nigh was so engrossing. That koppu kick against the Kobashi lariat attempt and the final burning lariat after the 30 minute call stood out as the peaks of the closing stretch.  ***3/4

Comments